fall is in the air at last!

it's amazing how waking up to a crisp 55 degree morning puts me in such a better mood than walking outside and instantly starting to sweat.

fall makes me want to buy mums and pumpkins and drink hot tea!

and today i found yet another awesome thing about autumn...sukkot!

as in the jewish feast of tabernacles.
this is when jews live in tents (sukkah) for a week each year at the beginning of fall to remember the 40 years they were lost in the wilderness, and thank God for all his provision.

for lunch today one of my friends who is a rabbi invited me to dine with her in their family sukkah...and it was a super fun experience.


it got me to thinking though...why don't christians celebrate more jewish holidays?
so many of them have such special and messianic meaning behind them to a christian...especially passover. seriously.

in fact, when jesus had the last supper with his disciples and said 'do this in rememberance of me', i think he was especially referring to the passover seder, and the symbolism behind it.
he was saying, now when you come together to remember how God spared you from death by providing the sacrificial lamb, realize that the lamb was only a foreshadowing of my sacrifice for you.

i don't really think he was talking about taking shots of grape juice with crackers...don't get me wrong...i think doing communion is good...but maybe we miss part of the deep impact of it when we don't really think about the original context.

anyways...rabbit trail. just my two cents.

but seriously, maybe i can start a trend of my own.
weather this nice makes me want to build a sukkah in the backyard for sure...
or maybe i'll just go camping. :)


One Comment

  1. I would do the sukkah any time over the camping in Texas.... :-) And you are right. I would love to celebrate all the festivities... I bet you could get some good advice from the messianic jewish churches!

    ReplyDelete

popular posts

Search This Blog

Blogroll